What is a Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) hair transplant?
Follicular unit extraction (FUE) hair transplants are done by taking individual hair follicles out of your skin and implanting them elsewhere on your body. This will make the hair in the new area look thicker.
FUE was meant to replace the “classic” follicular unit transplantation (FUT) technique. This procedure was done by taking an entire piece of skin or scalp along with the follicles and transplanting the skin on the target area.
FUE has become more popular than FUT because it’s less likely to lead to a “hair plug” look, where sections of skin or hair don’t match the surrounding areas. It also won’t leave a large scar like FUT does.
The best candidate for a FUE hair transplant is someone with thinning hair or balding who still has enough hair nearby to use for a transplant. Know More.
You may not be eligible for a FUE hair transplant if you don’t have enough healthy or thick hair to transplant to the thinning or balding area.
How does a FUE hair transplant work?
As you get older, the three-phase cycle of hair growth and regrowth shortens until follicles no longer regrow hairs.
This process is different for everyone. Some people start balding in their 20s, while others bald much later in life.
FUE hair transplants restore hair by replacing these old follicles with new follicles that are still able to grow hair.
After the transplant, the follicles will be nourished by blood vessels and begin growing hair in the area that previously had thin hair or balding.
Procedure for FUE Hair Transplant.
Here’s how the FUE procedure works:
- Your surgeon will shave down the hair in the area where follicles will be removed as well as around the transplant area.
- Using a micropunch tool, they will remove follicles from your skin.
- Your surgeon will then make a series of tiny incisions with a needle or other small, sharp tool where the extracted follicles will be inserted.
- They’ll insert the follicles into the incisions.
- Your surgeon will clean and bandage the area for recovery.
What to expect after a FUE Hair Transplant.
Recovery from FUE is quick. You may have some swelling or discomfort for about 3 days.
Here are some aftercare instructions your doctor may give you:
- Don’t wash your hair or shower for at least 3 days.
- Use gentle, unscented shampoos for a few weeks once you start washing your hair.
- Take a couple of days off work to help speed up healing.
- Don’t comb or brush your new hair for at least 3 weeks.
- Don’t wear hats, beanies, or other clothing that goes over your head until your doctor says it’s OK.
- Don’t do any strenuous physical activity for at least a week.
Some hairs may fall out during the healing process. This is normal. You’ll probably start to notice a difference after 3 to 4 months.
Depending on the health of your transplanted hair, your hair may not grow back as thick as expected. Learn More Here.
FUE Transplant Results – Before and After Pictures.
Within the first three weeks of the transplant, the transplanted hair will shed. The transplanted follicle will go into a so-called “sleep mode,” so it does not produce hair for a while.
10 to 20% of hair growth is seen within the 3 to 4 months after the hair transplant. In the following 6 months, about 50% of hair growth is visible. 80% result can be seen in 8 to 9 months. The complete 100% results can be seen in 9 to 12 months after the hair transplant procedure.
Preparing for a FUE Hair Transplant.
Here are some things you may need to do before getting a FUE hair transplant: Know in Details.
- Don’t smoke for at least a day before your surgery.
- Don’t drink alcohol for at least 3 days before your surgery.
- Don’t take aspirin or blood thinners for about 2 weeks before your surgery.
- Don’t take any vitamins or dietary supplements for 2 weeks before your surgery.
- Try to avoid taking antidepressants for about 2 weeks before surgery.
- Don’t get your hair cut before the surgery.
- Do a scalp massage 10 to 30 minutes every day for a few weeks to increase blood flow to your scalp.
- Take any medications, such as minoxidil (Rogaine), that your surgeon asks you to take.
- Have an electrocardiogram (ECG) and blood tests done before surgery.
What is the cost of an FUE hair transplant procedure at Dermaplast?
The cost around Rs. 25 to Rs. 50 per hair grafts at Dermaplast Clinic
The ultimate cost of a FUE hair transplant depends on:
- Number of grafts required: The cost will vary according to the number of grafts required, i.e., it would cost more to cover the whole scalp than just some area on the scalp.
- Grade of baldness: Grade of baldness means how hair loss is progressing. For example, in the 1st grade of baldness hair transplant is not recommended, but after the 2nd grade of baldness, a hair transplant is recommended.
- Hair transplant technique used: The technique used will determine the cost. If the latest technology is used, the cost will also increase.
2 thoughts on “Best FUE Hair Transplant – Top 7 Things to Know.”
Pingback: Best FUT Hair Transplant - Top 7 Things to Know.
Pingback: The Best Reasons to Get a Hair Transplant in Panvel - Dermaplast Aesthetic Clinic